MATH 106 Finite Mathematics
1. Which of the corner points for the system of linear inequalities graphed below maximizes the
objective function P = 5x + 4y ?
2. Find the equation of the line passing through (1, – 7) and (4, 1): 2. _______
A. 8x + 3y = – 13 B. 2x + y = – 5 C. 2x – y = 9 D. 8x – 3y = 29
3. A survey of 15 randomly selected students responded to the question “How many hours a day
do you work on MATH 106?” as follows: 3, 2, 2, 4, 6, 5, 2, 5, 1, 4, 2, 3, 2, 3, 4 . Which
histogram below accurately reflects the frequency distribution of the 15 students’ responses?
4. Identify the single row operation that transforms the matrix as shown:
5. The amount of money you should deposit in an account paying 8% compounded quarterly in
order to receive quarterly payments of $1000 for the next 4 years can be determined using
A. Single-payment, simple interest
B. Single-payment, compound interest
C. Sequence of payments: present value of an ordinary annuity
D. Sequence of payments: future value of an ordinary annuity
6. – 7. The Black Entertainment Television Company (BET) employs copy coordinators and
programming analysts. According to company data, a copy coordinator reviews 5 scripts and 3
show schedules per day, whereas a programming analyst reviews 2 scripts and 7 show schedules
per day. The company needs enough staff on hand to review at least 12 scripts per day and at
least 17 show schedules per day. A copy coordinator makes $230 per day and a programming
analyst makes $190 per day. The company wants to minimize daily labor costs. Let x represent
number of copy coordinators and y represent number of programming analysts.
6. Identify the daily production constraint for scripts: