Week 8 Assignment 1: Anorexia – A Brain Disorder?
After completing the readings and watching the videos for this week, complete this assignment.
Using the DSM-5 diagnostic criteria and evidence-based scholarly articles, address the following:
· Describe the neurology of anorexia. Does the characterization of anorexia as a brain disorder surprise you? What are your thoughts on the personal and/or cultural implications of classifying anorexia (and other mental illnesses) in this way, as opposed to a lifestyle choice or a matter of willpower? How might you support a family (or client) who is resistant to this interpretation?
· Describe and discuss changes in personality and social behavior that might be seen with anorexia. How would you assess for these changes?
· Provide an overview of the health consequences and medical complications of anorexia
· Create a treatment plan for a client with anorexia using family-based therapy or other evidence-based therapy.
Criteria for this paper:
· Answer these questions succinctly but completely, integrating resources to provide rationale for all decisions.
· Use APA formatting for all components of your paper.
· You may use narrative, bullets, or a table format for various sections of this discussion assignment.
· Your paper should be approximately two to three pages long, not including the reference page.
· Use at least one nursing journal reference from CINAHL (available through the Regis library) to support your rationale.
Please refer to the Grading Rubric for details on how this activity will be graded.
· Sadock, B. J., Sadock, V. A., & Ruiz, P. (2015). Kaplan and Sadock’s synopsis of psychiatry: Behavioral sciences/clinical psychiatry (11th ed.). London, England: Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.
· Topic: Feeding and eating disorders
· Rhodes, J. & Murphy, P.J. M. (Eds.) (2015). Clinical consult to psychiatric nursing for advanced practice . New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
· Tusaie, K. R. & Fitzpatrick, J.J. (Eds.) (2013). Advanced practice psychiatric nursing: Integrating psychotherapy, psychopharmacology, and complementary and alternative approaches . New York, NY: Springer Publishing.
· A transcript for Evidence-Based Treatment Planning for Eating Disorders and Obesity is available on the website, if needed
· A transcript for Anorexia: What Therapists and Parents Need to Know is available on the website, if needed