The purpose of this project is to research, analyze and apply tort law.
This project requires you to identify and assess legal issues, apply the law to the facts and make recommendations. The issues will relate to the concepts and assigned materials covered in weeks 1, 2, and 3. Review all assigned materials in the Overview Section in weeks 1, 2, and 3.
Outcomes Met by Completing this Assignment:
· recommend appropriate actions in the business environment based on an understanding of sources of law, substantive legal concepts, legal process and procedure, and available remedies
· analyze tort rights, obligations, liabilities, and remedies in the business environment
Background: One of GC’s primary concerns about negligence risks and liabilities is the risks and liabilities related to potential accidents occurring in their public business space to employees and/or customers.
GC will be headquartered in commercial space in a local shopping center. This space will include private business offices, a public reception area, a conference meeting area, and space to which potential and existing clients will be invited to discuss cleaning jobs, buy cleaning products, and complete contracts for cleaning jobs. The business space will be open to the public. The shopping center in which GC will be headquartered is busy and heavily trafficked with shoppers.
Winnie and Ralph request that you do two things: (1) develop a plan to identify potential negligence risks/liabilities, and (2) recommend ways to minimize those potential negligence risks in GC’s public store facility.
GC owners will use the plan to refine policies and procedures to prevent and/or minimize liabilities for GC.
Prepare a PowerPoint (PPT) presentation to (1) develop a plan to identify potential negligence risks/liabilities, and (2) recommend ways to minimize those potential negligence risks in GC’s public store facility.
There is no set number of PPT slides required, but the presentation must include:
· title page;
· introductory slide(s);
· reference list page (be sure to use in-text cites on the slides, as needed); and
· present a detailed, comprehensive plan.
Please place all notes and explanations for EACH slide directly on slides in the PPT presentation. The notes and explanations cannot be placed in the notes field in PowerPoint or in a separate document
You likely will need more than one PPT slide for each point/idea/concept so that everything you want to include in the presentation will be contained in the PPT slides. Do not include too much information on a slide such that it would be difficult for the audience to read and understand during the presentation. Remember, the PowerPoint is a presentation and not a Word document.
The plan focuses on potential tort liabilities for negligence (do not discuss or include the tort of strict product liability in this project).
The PowerPoint presentation will be labeled in 2 parts:
Negligence Risks/Liabilities in GC Public Business Facility
1. identify and explain 3 different specific situations that could create negligence risks/liabilities for GC in its public store facility
· explain why/how each situation creates possible negligence liability
2. develop and explain policies and/or procedures GC could implement to prevent or minimize the negligence risk/liability for each situation discussed in 1. above
You should use only the assigned resources available in the classroom for the project.
If needed, please refer to the following links for tips on preparing a PPT presentation.
Creating a PowerPoint
PowerPoint for Beginners
Use in-text citations, as needed.
Include a References List of cited resources
Label each section of the PowerPoint as follows:
Risks and Liabilities
Policies and Procedures
Review the Plan
Thoroughly read the presentation to ensure all required elements are present. Use the grading rubric to ensure that you gain the most points possible for this assignment.
Proofread for spelling and grammatical issues, and third person writing.
· Read the Power Points presentation aloud as a first measure;
· Use the spell and grammar check in PowerPoint;
· Have someone who has excellent English skills proof the presentation.
Submit the project in the Assignment Folder The assignment submitted to the Assignment Folder will be considered a student’s final product and therefore ready for grading by the instructor. It is incumbent upon the student to verify the assignment is the correct submission.