Due Week 9 and worth 200 points
Religion and Politics have traditionally been highly debated topics in our society. Recently, the Pledge of Allegiance has added to this debate.
American citizens have generally recited the Pledge of Allegiance at important ceremonies ranging from presidential inaugurations to the beginning of the school day. The pledge has a great deal of sentimental value to many Americans, but also creates a great deal of controversy for others.
Review the Supreme Court case Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow, which highlights the debate.
Write a five to eight (5-8) page paper in which you:
- Summarize the salient points of the Supreme Court case Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow.
- Discuss the levels of the court through which the case evolved before it reached the Supreme Court.
- Explain the decision of the Supreme Court in this case in brief.
- Explain the fundamental impact that the court decision in question has had on American society in general and on ethics in American society in particular. Provide a rationale for the response.
- Discuss whether you believe that the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance is a religious issue or a sign of respect for the United States.
- Discuss whether or not you think public schools should be allowed to recite the pledge.
- Use at least three (3) quality academic resources. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
- Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- This course requires use of Strayer Writing Standards (SWS). The format is different than other Strayer University courses. Please take a moment to review the SWS documentation for details.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
- The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Examine the current ethical issues inherent throughout the criminal and civil justice systems.
- Describe the dispensation of justice through the criminal and civil justice systems.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the criminal court and the judicial process in America.
- Write clearly and concisely about the American court system using proper writing mechanics and SWS style conventions.
- Grading for this assignment will be based on answer quality, logic / organization of the paper, and language and writing skills, using the following rubric.