Read/review the following resources for this activity:
- Textbook: Chapter 10
- Minimum of 1 scholarly source
Initial Post Instructions
For the initial post, respond to one of the following options:
- List and briefly describe the Five Pillars of Islam. Select one of the pillars to examine in more in depth. How do Muslims express this pillar? How do Sufis express this pillar differently from other Muslims? Explain why you choose this particular pillar.
- Define Sunni and Shia. Choose one of these two forms of Islam and explain their core beliefs in greater detail, including their history, countries where this form of Islam is practiced, and sub-sects within each branch. Conclude with a brief analysis about the ways in which these two school’s differences continue to influence Islamic culture and politics in the modern world.
Follow-Up Post Instructions
Respond to at least two peers or one peer and the instructor. Respond to a peer who chose an option different from the one you chose. Further the dialogue by providing more information and clarification.
- Minimum of 3 posts (1 initial & 2 follow-up)
- APA format for in-text citations and list of references
This activity will be graded using the Discussion Grading Rubric. Please review the following link:
Molloy, M. (2013). Experiencing the world’s religions (6th ed.). New York City, NY: McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.