Describe And Evaluate The Effectiveness Of Behavioral Therapies
Describe and Evaluate the Effectiveness of Behavioural Therapies”
Assignment Brief: 1500 word essay “Describe and Evaluate the Effectiveness of Behavioural Therapies”
In your assignment you should:
- Ensure your essay is logically structured (introduction, main body & conclusion), and be fully referencedthroughout and accompanied by an accurate bibliography.
For the main body you will need to include key research, and show how these illustrate the processes of learning within the therapies you select. You should describe these succinctly, using appropriate psychological terminology. You should describe at least two behavioural therapies, clearly explaining the processes used and show how they change behaviour. You will need to explain the relevance and usefulness of the therapies in terms of how successful they are in terms of treating maladaptive behaviours. To evaluate the evidence you should include the following:
- Consider the effectiveness of behavioural therapies – for example, you could compare and contrast the different exposure therapies and comment on how they compare in terms of effectiveness. You should use specific research examples to illustrate the effectiveness of the therapies;
- Consider the limitations associated with behavioural therapies – compare behavioural therapies with other treatments, particularly CBT; discuss the development of CBT and consider whether it has improved overall effectiveness; consider the limitation of behavioural therapies;
- Consider ethical issues associated with behavioural therapies – use specific examples to illustrate the ethical issues; use comparative techniques to help you analyse how ethical the therapies are in relation to each other (eg, compare & contrast the exposure therapies); discuss whether CBT is more ethical than behavioural therapies.
Indicative Learner texts:
Cardwell, M., Clark, L., & Meldrum, C. (2003) Psychology for AS-Level (3rd Ed) HarperCollins: London
Cardwell, M. & Flanagan, C. (2015) Psychology AS The Complete Companion Student Book (5th Edition) Oxford University Press: Oxford
Cardwell, M. & Flanagan, C. (2012) Psychology A2 The Complete Companion Student Book (3rd Ed) Oxford University Press: Oxford
Cardwell, M. & Flanagan, C. (2020) Psychology A Level Year 2: The Complete Companion Student book (Online). (5thed). Oxford University Press
Cardwell, M. & Flanagan, C. (2019) Psychology A Level Year 2: The Complete Companion Student Book for AQA. (5thed). Oxford University Press: Oxford
Cardwell, M. & Moody, R. (2019) Psychology A Level Year 1 & AS: Revision Guide for AQA. Oxford University Press: Oxford
Cardwell, M. & Moody, R. (2019) Psychology A Level Year 2: Revision Guide for AQA. Oxford University Press: Oxford
Eysenck, M. W. (2015) AQA Psychology: AS and A-Level Year 1. (6th ed). Psychology Press: London
Eysenck, M.W. (2000) Psychology For AS-Level (2nd Ed) Psychology Press Ltd: East Sussex
Faudemer, K., Hayden, C., McHale, K. & Simson, C. (eds) (2015) A-Level Year 1 & AS Psychology Exam Board: AQA Coordination Group Publications Ltd (CGP)
Flanagan, C., Berry, D., Jarvis, M. & Liddle, R. (2015) AQA Psychology For A Level Year 1 & AS Illuminate Publishing Ltd: Cheltenham
Flanagan, C., Berry, D., Jarvis, M. & Liddle, R. (2016) AQA Psychology For A Level Year 2 Illuminate Publishing Ltd: Cheltenham
Gross, R., McIlveen, R., Coolican, H., Clamp, A., & Russell, J. (2000) Psychology: a new introduction for A-Level (3rdEd) Hodder & Stoughton: London
Gross, R. (2015) Psychology The Science of Mind and Behaviour (7th Ed) Hodder Education: London
Holt, N., Bremner, A., Sutherland, E., Vliek, M., Passer, M., & Smith, R. (2019) The Science of Mind and Behaviour. (4thed). McGraw-Hill Education: England
Ost’s intensive one-session therapy available at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKTpecooiec
1. outline and evaluate behavioural therapies.
1.1 described at least two behavioural therapies
1.2 applied these therapies to at least one abnormal behaviour
1.2 evaluated behavioural therapies in terms of its effectiveness
2. outline and evaluate cognitive behavioural therapy.
2.1 described one form of cognitive behavioural therapy
2.2 evaluated cognitive behavioural therapy in terms of its effectiveness
3. identify and explain ethical issues associated with the use of behavioural therapies.
3.1 identified and explained the relevant ethical issues related to the use of behavioural therapies
4. demonstrate use of psychological terminology and sources
4.1 used appropriate psychological terminology with reference to classical and operant conditioning and social learning theory
4.2 correctly referenced work using the Harvard system