DISCUSSION 3: Substance Abuse With Personality Disorder: A Case Study
Substance Abuse With Personality Disorder: A Case Study [WLOs: 4, 5, 6, 7, 8] [CLOs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]
Lastly, view the video Debunking the Myths & Misunderstandings of Borderline Personality Disorder (Links to an external site.)
To successfully complete this discussion,
CASE STUDY FOR ASSIGNMENT LINK:
- Read the case study details and refer to your textbook, and the DSM-5, as needed to support your understanding.
In your initial post,
- Start by identifying the symptom or diagnosis you searched and the name of the case study you chose.
- (e.g. Albert [borderline personality disorder with comorbid alcohol use])
- Next, describe the patient’s symptoms and the available demographic and historical data.
- If new terminology is introduced, be sure to explain to your peers what this entails.
- Analyze the differences between the diagnosis of the person identified in your case study and a similar illness/diagnosis.
- Access the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (5th ed.) and do a search to support your suggestions. (Be sure to cite.)
- Discuss the available treatments for your case study.
- Evaluate the health and social risks, as well as costs, of alcohol or substance use disorder.
- What do you think about how our society handles this problem? Is there more we should be doing or is society too involved in this issue?
- Finally, develop at least three recommendations for the patient/family for ongoing functioning (social, occupational, and academic, if applicable), associated with your chosen case study.
Post your initial response of 300 words or more by Day 3