Discussion 6 Social
Assignment: Relationship Analysis
How does attraction happen and how do relationships form? Attraction and relationships are complex in that they are influenced by numerous factors, including, but not limited to, age and gender of the partners, stage of the relationship, and culture.
For this Assignment, you explore the elements of a relationship and the rules and expectations associated with them. You also examine what influences these elements and rules/expectations.
- Review Chapter 10 of your course text, Social Psychology, focusing on attachments in childhood and adulthood. Also focus on the factors involved in attraction, romantic love, relationship satisfaction, and romantic breakups.
- Review at least two of the journal articles in this week’s Learning Resources to explore aspects of attraction and romantic relationships in different cultures. (You do not have to read all of the articles.) Think about how people in a different culture might view and behave in relationships. Notice the similarities and differences between that culture and your own.
The Assignment (2–4 pages):
In a 2- to 4-page paper, analyze a personal relationship you have or have had (or a relationship of someone you know well). This relationship may be a romantic relationship or a friendship. Address the following:
- Briefly identify the type of relationship you are using as your example and describe each person’s attachment style.
- Select at least four concepts or theories from your readings that describe in more depth the relationship and/or how this relationship developed, was maintained, or ended. Analyze how these four concepts or theories relate to the relationship you have chosen to assess.
- Finally, select a culture presented in one of the articles listed and that neither person is already a part of, in real life. Consider how that cultural context could impact the relationship. Imagine that one or both of the people in the relationship are from this other culture and the relationship is in the development or maintenance stage. How would the relationship be different? Make connections to what you learned from your selected journal article by discussing some of the research findings.
- Would your four selected concepts or theories still apply in the same way in terms of relationship development or relationship maintenance? If not, what would differ? Would another concept or theory be more applicable, and why?
By Day 7
Submit your Assignment.
Note: Support the responses within your Assignment with evidence from the assigned Learning Resources. Provide a reference list for resources you used for this Assignment.
Submission and Grading Information
To submit your completed Assignment for review and grading, do the following:
- Please save your Assignment using the naming convention “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” as the name.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment Rubric to review the Grading Criteria for the Assignment.
- Click the Week 5 Assignment link. You will also be able to “View Rubric” for grading criteria from this area.
- Next, from the Attach File area, click on the Browse My Computer button. Find the document you saved as “WK5Assgn+last name+first initial.(extension)” and click Open.
- If applicable: From the Plagiarism Tools area, click the checkbox for I agree to submit my paper(s) to the Global Reference Database.
- Click on the Submit button to complete your submission.
To access your rubric:
Week 5 Assignment Rubric
Check Your Assignment Draft for Authenticity
To check your Assignment draft for authenticity:
Submit your Week 5 Assignment draft and review the originality report.
Submit Your Assignment by Day 7
To submit your Assignment:
Week 5 Assignment