Discussion Question – Cultural Assumptions And Decision Making
Cultural Assumptions and Decision Making
Reflect on a recent decision you have made in a group context (either personal or professional) and reconstruct how the decision was made. Address all three of the following points in your response, and response should be at least 300 words:
· Did group members differentiate facts from opinions? How was this accomplished?
· Were the group norms favorable to bringing out all the relevant information in the decision-making process? Were decisions based on enough facts, or did the group settle for consensus among opinions?
· What were the group norms for rules of decision making? Did everyone get an equal vote, or did one person (e.g., the leader) have the final say? Did the group discuss the process on how it would come to a decision, and at what point in the decision-making process did they do this?
Balthazard, P. A., Cooke, R. A., & Potter, R.E. (2006). Dysfunctional culture, dysfunctional organization: Capturing the behavioral norms that form organizational culture and drive performance. Journal of Managerial Psychology, 21(8), 709-732.
Schein, E. H. [Annual Reviews]. (2015, May 12). Ed Schein – Let’s Focus on (National, Organizational, and Occupational) Culture. [Video file]. Retrieved from Ed Schein – Let’s Focus on (National, Organizational, and Occupational) Culture
Schein, E. H. (2016). Organizational culture and leadership (5th ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass
· Chapter 6. Dimensions of the Macro-Cultural Context
· Chapter 7. A Focused Way of Working with Macro Cultures
· Chapter 9. How External Adaptation and Internal Integration Become Culture