Post a total of 3 substantive responses over 2 separate days for full participation. This includes your initial post and 2 replies to classmates or your faculty member.
Our focus this week is understanding and effectively communicating to specific audiences. Using language respectfully in the workplace takes practice, and 1 specific way to demonstrate respectful language is by using gender pronouns correctly. In “Beyond the Binary: Practical Advice for Using Gender Pronouns,” Christy Hall and Conner Suddick say, “Using the correct pronouns is a sign of respect and affirmation. Though this requires a shift in language use, changing language can change culture for the better” (2019, p. 24). This article is a great reminder that word choice precision is very important, and it contributes to how your audience might perceive your message.
Select 1 of the following resources and review the material prior to responding to the discussion questions:
- “Beyond the Binary: Practical Advice for Using Gender Pronouns” from the University Library
- Bias-Free Language page on the APA Style website
- Socioeconomic Status page on the APA Style website
- Intersectionality page on the APA Style website
Using the resource you selected, respond to the following in a minimum of 175 words:
- When you communicate with others, how do you show respect or active listening?
- What questions might you ask yourself about your audience as you approach a writing task for work?
- How are your communication relationships at home and elsewhere similar or different from those at work?
- What is 1 detail from the resource you selected that you might apply to writing for work, school, or home? Explain your response.