ESRI Online Course: Getting Started With GIS
Deliverables: Print/Email GIS Certificate once course is completed; Complete and email: Getting stated with GIS
Reading Assignment: Prior to beginning the online course, encouraged to explore the following links:
Step 1: Getting Started with GIS
- Create a GIS Map
- Evaluate data for use in a GIS mapping project
- Visually analyze feature relationships and patterns on a GIS map.
- Share GIS maps and analysis results.
GIS – Software
To complete the online course, access to GIS software.
Download Software on Personal Computer/Laptop: ESRI has a free 21-day trial subscription for
ESRI account users. https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/trial (ArcPro which included ArcMap 10.6)
Instructions: Complete the questions below based on the online training course Getting Started With GIS. Assignment
Section Title: What is GIS?
- Define GIS.
- These systems ________ , _______ , and ______ trends in order to answer questions and make decisions.
- Geographic information includes ______ and ______ information.
- True or False: Spatial information tell us where something is, and the attribute information tells us what something is.
- A GIS integrates_______ , _______, ____, and _ ________ into its comprehensive package.
- What is one of the most common GIS formats?
- GIS maps can be formatted to analyze trends, find ________ _______, and assist with future decisions.
- What is ArcGIS Online?
- In the exercise Using a GIS, What countries are adjacent to those infected with moscitotitis?
- True or False: GIS is a geographic information source that only provides geographic information.
Section Title: What is GIS data?
- What is a feature?
- True or False: Vector data represents features with distinct boundaries.
- What are the geometries used to represent vector data?
- True or False: A point has two pair of geographic coordinates.
- What is a polyline?
- True or False: A polygon has multiple pairs of geographic coordinates that are connected and closed.
- A GIS creates a_ ________, or an association, between the attribute table and the feature.
- Vector data uses ___________ _______ to determine where features are located. It uses _______ information to determine what something is.
- Define Raster.
- Explain how vector and raster data can be stored.
- Define metadata
- True or False: The Item Description is one form of metadata that provides some of the basic metadata information and a thumbnail of the feature.
- In the exercise, Which data to use, What geometry is the Riverside_SewerL data?
- True or False: Hospital buildings are an example of a polyline.
- True or False: Aerial images to use as a reference is an example of raster data.
Section Title: Navigating a GIS Map
- What is a layer?
- True or False: Layers can be turned on and off and reordered.
- Moving the layers changes the ______that they draw on the map.
- Define scale.
- Navigating the layers in a GIS map will _________ the map scale.
- True or False: Scale can be expressed as a ratio.
- In the exercise, moving around a map, which continents have countries projecting the greatest change in population?
- What are the two different views of a GIS map?
- When is the data view commonly used?
- What elements can you display in the layout view?
Section Title: Finding Information
- True or False: The Find tool will search the attribute values and find the corresponding features.
- True or False: The Select By Location tool will find features based on their spatial relationship with other features.
- True or False: When you click on a feature with the Identify tool, it will pop up a window of the feature’s attribute information.
- The attribute table provides the __ and ____ used to search and query data.
- What is an attribute query?
- True or False: You can create a query based on several attributes by integrating “And” or “Find” into the query.
- What are the three basic components needed to create a location query?
- Features can also be queried based on their ______location in relationship to other features.
- What are the four basic types of location relationships?
- In the exercise Querying maps, how many records of threatened species did you find?