This assignment assesses intended course outcomes(s):
1. Apply the nursing process and evidence-based practice to accurately assess family and community health systems across the lifespan
2. Apply systematic research practices to identify family and community health system needs.
3. Develop appropriate risk reduction and health promotion education plans based on identified family and community risk factors.
4. Develop appropriate risk reduction and health promotion education plans based on identified family and community risk factors. Discuss the multi-dimensional role of the community health nurse in risk reduction and health promotion.
In this assignment, the student will conduct an assessment of a family and apply the nursing process to form a plan of care. The family needs to have at least three members in the household and at least one family member must have a health care need. The family can be of any type of structure (traditional or non-traditional). The student will conduct a genogram which demonstrates patterns of disorders that are prevalent in the family. On the same family the student will then construct an ecomap. An ecomap is a representation of how the family connects to the outside world. Based on this information, the student needs to select a family or community theory (refer to information in LEO classroom) and construct a plan of care based on this theory utilizing the nursing process.
- ● You can use your own family for this assignment. Remember, the family genogram must represent a family in the same community you wrote about in your windshield survey.
- ● Using the information, examples, and templates provided, construct a family genogram of your family. Please omit any identifying information (e.g., names).
- ● This link provides additional information and instructions for construction of a family genogram. This link provides examples of completed genograms.
- ● You can use the attached template [link to genogram file] or create your own.
- ● Submit the completed genogram as a separate document prior to working on the ecomap.
- ● Using the family genogram data, construct an ecomap of the family depicting how the family interacts with community resources/entities/agencies to meet the family’s needs. Make note of any family need that cannot be met in the community, as this information will be needed in your next assignment.
- ● Instructions on completing an ecomap are provided in this link.
- ● An interactive example of ecomap construction is provided in this link
- ● The attached template link to ecomap file can help you create your own ecomap.
- ● Once you have completed your ecomap be sure to provide statistical data about your community, such as population, socioeconomic data, and disease prevalence/incidence data. You can find data through Healthy People 2020, the CDC, the US Census Bureau, and the National Vital Statistics System. The statistical data along with the observational data from your windshield survey and the outline of the community assessment process presented in Week 4 will constitute a mini-community assessment. Your next two assignments (in Weeks 6 and 8) will be constructed from these materials.
Family teaching plan
Using the nursing process and the data obtained from the genogram and ecomap, develop a teaching plan based on the needs of the family.
Select a family or community theory
Create a plan based on this theory (details)
Summarized the identified health risk traits
Evidence-based health care promotion and disease prevention recommendations based on the family’s identified health risk.
The outline for the family assessment is below:
|Construct a teaching plan based on the nursing process, utilizing a family or community based theory, that addressed the identified family health risk
|APA style, spelling, grammar, appropriate terminology, organization, grammar, organization and references