This first assessment is part one of a three part assessment, with the end result being you elected to state office. For this paper, you will be running for office. Choose whether you would like to run for the Texas House of Representatives OR the Texas State Senate.
Preparing to run: SLO #1
- Know your district. Go to: http://www.fyi.legis.state.tx.us/Home.aspx, and discover the district number, and who represents you in the Texas house or state senate.
- Go to your current representative’s page, and look at the district analyses documents.
- What does your district look like (in terms of population, age, education, employment, election results
- What issues arise based upon the district’s demographics (this will help you think about your platform)
Your Platform, and Party Politics:
- Know yourself. Take these surveys to identify your political leanings:
- Submit screenshots or jpgs on your works cited page OR on the next page(s)
- Given your results, and your previous district analysis research, what’s your platform? Choose at least 3 issue stands to develop.
- Compare your issue stands with the official party platforms of your party:
- Texas Democratic Party platform: http://www.txdemocrats.org/our-party/texas-democratic-party-platform/
- Texas Republican Party platform: https://www.texasgop.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/PERM-PLATFORM.pdf
- Where do your ideas align with the party?
- Where do your ideas diverge from the party?
- How will you be different from the rest?
This assignment must follow MLA guidelines, be typed in Times New Roman, 12 pt. font, and be a minimum of 1000 words with a works cited page. The works cited are not included in the minimum word count. Any links/articles given in the assignment prompt MUST be cited in your works cited. You may also use other sources, but these are the minimum required. Without all of them, your paper is a 0.