· DIS 1
Trace the evolution and development of art through the periods of the Early Renaissance to the High Renaissance.
· Explain what primarily distinguishes Renaissance art in general from the prior period.
· Compare and contrast the work of an Italian Renaissance artist with a work done by a northern European Renaissance artist, considering style, content, and form.
· Include a discussion of the different concerns and heritages of the Italian and Northern Renaissance artists and how these resulted in different characteristics in the art work of each region. Be sure to use the new art vocabulary you are learning as you describe the artworks.
· DIS 2
Compare and contrast two works of art done in two different eras/styles. Select one of the following pairs of eras/styles: Medieval and Renaissance, Baroque and Rococo, or Rococo and Neoclassical. Give a detailed overview of the period and style and situate your comparison within the stylistic characteristics of each style.
· an overview of what primarily distinguishes the art work of each era, and then indicate specific formal or thematic aspects of each work that typify its era
· a discussion of the role of changing cultural and political climates in influencing the shift from on style to the next.
· a comparative analysis of the form, style and content of an artwork from each era (each artwork should be of the same medium and genre, for example two portraits or two figural sculptures).
Be sure to use the terminology regarding elements of art and principles of design that we studied in Week I as you proceed in your discussion. Be sure to make a true comparison of the works – don’t just discuss each one on its own.