WRITTEN DOCUMENT ANALYSIS WORKSHEET (Modified from U.S. National Archives worksheet)
1. TITLE OF DOCUMENT:
2. TYPE OF DOCUMENT (Check one):
☐Letter ☐Report ☐Newspaper ☐Speech ☐Other (Describe):
3. DATE DOCUMENT WAS ORIGINALLY WRITTEN OR PUBLISHED (Month, day, and/or year – if given):
4. AUTHOR OF DOCUMENT (Who originally wrote it?):
A. AUTHOR’S JOB TITLE OR POSITION –
B. EDITOR OF DOCUMENT (if applicable) –
5. FOR WHAT AUDIENCE DID THE AUTHOR WRITE THIS DOCUMENT? (Try to be specific)
6. DOCUMENT INFORMATION: Write your answers to Part 6 in complete sentences and write as much as necessary for each point. Use quotation marks and page or paragraph numbers where applicable.
A. Why did the author write this document? (Quote from the document.)
B. List three things the author said you think are important and explain why in your own words.
C. List two things that the document tells you about American life at the time it was written.
D. Write a question to the author that is left unanswered by the document.