MHP Case 4
Read the following article: Implementation of an antimicrobial stewardship program in a rural hospital. This is an article that describes a program that was implemented at a rural hospital. After reading the article and doing other reserach, please respond to the following questions.
1. Briefly discuss the program and what led to its implementation.
2. In general, what are the different types of program evaluation available to a manager?
3. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each one?
4. What program evaluation was used in this case?
5. Based upon the data and other information in the article, was this the best approach?
6. What did the evaluation reveal about the program? Did it achieve what it was supposed to? Should it be continued or even replicated elswhere?
1. Be sure to conduct additional research to gather sufficient information to familiarize yourself with the facts of the case and be sure to justify/support your position.
2. Limit your responses to a 2-3 pages. Times new roman font 12 pt. DS. Please use sub headings.
3. Please support your discussions with scholarly support (3-5 references). Be sure to properly cite all references in text citations and reference page
4. Apply critical thinking skills the the assignment component.
Module 4 – Background
A framework for program evaluation. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.cdc.gov/eval/framework/index.htm
Decisions analysis in healthcare: Program evaluation. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://gunston.gmu.edu/healthscience/730/default.asp
Formea, C. M., PharmD., Nicholson, Wayne T,M.D., PharmD., McCullough, K. B., PharmD., Berg, K. D., Berg, M. L., PharmD., Cunningham, J. L., PharmD., . . . Stollings, J. L., PharmD. (2013). Development and evaluation of a pharmacogenomics educational program for pharmacists.
Hallinan, C. (2010). Program logic: a framework for health program design and evaluation — the Pap nurse in general practice program. Australian Journal of Primary Health, 16(4), 319-325.
McNamara, C. (n.d.). Designing your program evaluation plans. Retrieved from http://managementhelp.org/freenonprofittraining/program-evaluation.htm
Ross, M. (2010). Designing and using program evaluation as a tool for reform. Journal of Research on Leadership Education, 5(12), 481-506.
Shackman, G. (n.d.). What is program evaluation? Retrieved from http://gsociology.icaap.org/methods/evaluationbeginnersguide.pdf
Schlueter, D. F., Thompson, W. W., Mason, T. A., Rayton, M., & Arriola, K. J. (2010). A qualitative evaluation of the avon foundation community education and outreach initiative patient navigation program.
Yam, P., Fales, D., Jemison, J., Gillum, M., & Bernstein, M. (2012). Implementation of an antimicrobial stewardship program in a rural hospital. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 69(13), 1142-1148.
Barber, J., Frantsve, L., Capelli, S., & Sanders, K. (2012) Implementation and evaluation of an integrated care program in a VA medical center. Psychological Services, 8(4), 282-293.
Hlubocky, J., Stuckey, L., Schuman, A., & Stevenson, J. (2012). Evaluation of a transplantation specialty pharmacy program. American Journal of Health-System Pharmacy, 69(4), 370-374.
Spielberg, F., Kurth, A., Reidy, W., McKnight, T., Dikobe, W., & Wilson, C. (2011). Iterative Evaluation in a Mobile Counseling and Testing Program to Reach People of Color at Risk for HIV-New Strategies Improve Program Acceptability, Effectiveness, and Evaluation Capabilities. Aids Education and Prevention, 110-116.
Vernberg, E., Roberts, M., & Jacobs, A. (2008). Outcomes and Findings of Program Evaluation for the Intensive Mental Health Program. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 17(2), 178-190.