Critical appraisals are used to broaden understanding and summarize evidence. This helps determine if research evidence is ready for practice. There are certain steps to conducting critical appraisals.
- Locate a scholarly journal article and apply the steps of critical analysis found in your textbook.
- Post your analysis to this discussion board.
Responses need to address all components of the question, demonstrate critical thinking and analysis and include peer-reviewed journal evidence to support the student’s position.
Please be sure to validate your opinions and ideas with citations and references in APA format.
Please review the rubric to ensure that your response meets the criteria.
Unit 4 Required Resources
- Gray, J. R., Grove, S. K. & Sutherland, S. (2017). Burns and Grove’s the practice of nursing research: Appraisal, synthesis, and generation of evidence (8th ed.) . St. Louis, MO: Elsevier Saunders. ISBN 978-0-323-37758-4
- Review Chapter 2 pp. 33-34; Chapter 13
- University of Calfornia Berkeley (2016). Evaluating resources. (Links to an external site.)Berkeley Library. [Digital resource]. Retrieved from http://guides.lib.berkeley.edu/evaluating-resources
- This link provides information on ways to evaluate internet sources for authority and appropriateness to be included in scholarly research.
- Stillwell, S. B., Fineout-Overholt, E., Mazurek-Melynk, B., Williamon, K, M. (2010). Evidence based practice step by step (Links to an external site.). American Journal of Nursing , 110, 5. Retrieved from http://download.lww.com/wolterskluwer_vitalstream_com/PermaLink/NCNJ/A/NCNJ_546_156_2010_08_23_SADFJO_165_SDC216.pdf (Links to an external site.)
- University of Adelaide (2014). The JBI approach. (Links to an external site.) Joanna Briggs Institute. Retrieved from https://joannabriggs.org/
- (Links to an external site.)University of Minnesota (2017). Levels of evidence and grades of recommendations (Links to an external site.). UM Bio-Medical Library. Retrieved from https://hsl.lib.umn.edu/biomed/help/levels-evidence-and-grades-recommendations
- Evidence Based Health Care — Practice guidelines levels of evidence and grades of recommendations used by the National Guideline Clearinghouse.
- Uman, L. S. (2011). Systematic Reviews and Meta-Analyses (Links to an external site.). Journal of the Canadian Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 20(1), 57–59. Retrieved from https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3024725/ (Links to an external site.)
- Walden University (2019). Common assignments: Literature review matrix (Links to an external site.). [Website]. Retrieved from https://academicguides.waldenu.edu/writingcenter/assignments/literaturereview/matrix