You are to pick a “special topic” from the group project topics – other then the one you worked on in your group – read the article and complete the Briefing form. You may either use an article from the “NEWS ARTICLES” menu or you may research a current article on your own under these topics.
Reminder, the Briefing forms can be found in HANDOUTS from the menu.
4. Eight Gimmicks to Look Out For This Budget Season. Committee for a Responsible Federal Budget. May 4, 2017.
5. Congress passes stopgab bill to avoid Government shut down. Politico. April 28, 2017
6. “Congress Passed a Budget Deal. Now What?”. Center for American Progress
3. The Global Cyberattack And the Need to Revist Healthcare Cybersecurity.
4. Paris Attacks Show the Danger of Cell Phone Encryption, Says, Bratton, Politico
http://www.capitalnewyork.com/article/city-hall/2015/11/8582950/paris-attacks-shows-danger-cell-phone-encryption-says-bratton See Also attached PDF –
5. GAO Cybersecurity National Strategy, Roles and Responsibilities Need To Be Better Defined and More Effectively Implemented.
Why the Government Keeps Getting Hacked (Washington Post)
6. Primer on Cybersecurity and Public Policy”
7. Federal Cyber strategic Plan Released – Federal Timeshttp://www.federaltimes.com/story/government/cybersecurity/2015/10/30/fed-cybersecurity-strategy/74883890/
2. Economic Development vs. Economic Growth.
(This article and PowerPoint presentation were recently published by the US Department of Transportation Department on the problems of traffic and its relation to economic development and a short TED video on the difference between economic development and economic growth. The DOT articles resulted in the designation of CSUSB as a national Center of Innovation. They are posted in Blackboard. The link to the TED video is below)
4. “America’s growing student-loan-debt crisis” Market Watch
5. The Court Ruling That Could End the Student Loan Crisis; Fiscal Times.
6. What Unified Government and Electoral Politics might mean for education policy. Brookings
3. Hyperloop – Wikipedia
3. “A Guide to the Affordable Health Care Act”http://www.politico.com/obamacare-guide/ 4. Is the Affordable Health Care Act Working? NY Times;http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/10/27/us/is-the-affordable-care-act-working.html?_r=0 – / 5. Obama Care Facts: Facts on the Affordable Care Act
http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-facts/ 6. Washington Post Challenge: Affordable Health Care Act Survives Supreme Court
4. How Trump’s “Merit Based” Immigration system might work” New York Times
5. Immigration Reform – Council on Foreign relations
http://www.cfr.org/immigration/us-immigration-debate/p11149 6. A Guide to Immigration Action and Executive Action” Immigration Policy Center http://www.immigrationpolicy.org/special-reports/guide-immigration-accountability-executive-action
7. “Supreme Court to Rule on Obama Immigration Orders” Politico
2. International Trade Agreements. Douglas A Irwin. 2008 The Concise Encyclopedia of Economics.
3. NAFTA’S Winners and Losers. David Floyd. May 18, 2017.
4. What a Trump presidency means for U.S. and global climate policy. Nathan Hultman, Nov. 9, 2016
5. Trump, Trade and Seucurity, a way forward? Joshua P Meltzer Nov 14, 2016
6. Urban governance in the 21st Century: Innovating solutions (Podcast) Nov 9, 2016
7. The TPP is dead, long live the TPP. Mireya Solis, Nov 11, 2016
8. Summary of Trade Issues
https://www.iisd.org/business/issues/trade.aspx 9. Everything You Need to Know About the TPP; Washington Post; https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2013/12/11/everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-trans-pacific-partnership/ 10. The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) will increase trade, but will it undermine democracy, public services, and the environment? https://netivist.org/debate/tpp-pros-and-cons
4. Just facts.com National Debt. A resource for independent thinkers.
5. “Understanding the National Deficit and Debt: A Primer”;
3. GAO – Understanding the National Debt:
6. National Debt or Federal Deficit? What’s the Difference?