nis t V
, 2 01
Psychology’s Feminist Voices Scavenger Hunt: Women Past
Discover the answers to these questions using the Women Past section of the Psychology’s Feminist Voices website (www.feministvoices.com). This assignment will familiarize you with the website and the women of psychology’s past.
• On whose profile is there a photograph of that individual climbing a tree?
• Who described her recruitment of subjects in one of her studies as follows: “I located
subjects by driving around looking for diapers drying on clotheslines”?
• Who challenged the dominant notion of the 1930s that psychoanalysts required a medical
• What Russian-born psychologist became a psychological evaluator of men deemed suitable
for intelligence (spy) work during WWII in the United States?
• What developmental psychologist is best known for her work on the Berkeley Growth
Study, and for demonstrating that over the course of a child’s development, height is most
closely correlated with head circumference?
• Which psychologist’s first name differs from that of her husband by only one letter?
• Who was the first woman to become a member of the Gesellschaft für die experimentelle
Psychologie (the German Society for Experimental Psychology)?
• Who was the first female psychologist to have a United States postage stamp issued in her
• Which early psychologist published observations of her niece’s development?
nis t V
, 2 01
• Who developed the concept of “womb envy” as an alternative to the Freudian concept of
• Who was the first woman to lead the Vienna Psychoanalytic Society?
• Who collaborated with E. G. Boring on three studies of the status of women in American
• Who was the first African American psychologist to be licensed in Virginia?
• Who was the first female president of the Canadian Psychological Association?
• Which psychologist’s scientific work (conducted with her husband) on black children’s self-
perception influenced the Supreme Court’s decision in the 1954 Brown versus Board of
Education of Topeka Case?
• Which psychologist is best known for the “visual cliff” experiment?
• Who was the first woman in the United States to head a psychology department at a state
• Which psychologists wrote about cultural bias in testing children in Yucatan, Mexico such
as the Minnesota Preschool Tests with Mayan children in 1939?
• Which psychologist was prevented from attending prominent social psychologist William
McDougall’s seminars at Harvard on the grounds that she was a woman?
• Which psychologist was named the most prominent living woman in psychology in the
English-speaking world and was elected president of the American Psychological
Association in 1972?
nis t V
, 2 01
• Which educational psychologist was nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize three times?
• Which Stanford psychologist was a devout Quaker?
• Which psychologist published a dissertation on eminent women under James McKeen
Cattell and Robert S. Woodworth?
• Which psychologist married her fellow graduate student with whom she would later share a
professional relationship writing about reproduction and the influence of hormones on
• Which psychologist’s research on level of aspiration led to her studies becoming known
classics in the field?