Writing Assignment 1 – Texas Government Prof. Acord
Writing Assignment 1 – Texas Legislative and Executive Representation
Papers must be submitted to the Turn It In submission link in Course Content by
the due date and time. All late papers are subject to point deduction per the
syllabus. EMAIL SUBMISSIONS ARE NOT ACCEPTED. Formatting: This paper must be written in essay form with separate paragraphs. Do not
use bullet points or numbering. You must submit at least 2 full pages. Do not repeat the
questions. Use complete sentences, correct spelling and proper grammar. Use 1 inch
margins, 12-point Arial font and double spacing. Use in-paragraph citations and a
reference page for any outside sources. Do not use direct quotes from any source. Fully address the following questions:
• Explain the demographic composition of the Texas House of Representatives
and the Texas Senate.
• Describe the demographic characteristics of all current single-elected Texas
executives. This information should include their gender, approximate age,
level of education, previous occupations, racial category, etc. Search and go to
their official websites to find the information.
• What demographic groups are over represented in these two branches of
government? What demographic groups are underrepresented?
• What issues and ideas might be different between the over and
underrepresented demographic groups? Whose ideas are more likely to be
turned into public policies and laws?
• What might be the causes of certain types of people getting elected and other
types of people not getting elected?
• What could be done to change the demographic composition of these branches?
Think about information we have learned in previous chapters including voting
and participation levels of different groups, interest groups, etc.