The thesis statement contains a topic, controlling idea (opinion), and three main supporting points.
Write a Preliminary Essay Outline Assignment
Assignment Learning Outcomes
- Read and demonstrate understanding of assigned material.
- Apply the knowledge of preliminary essay structure, of grammar and mechanics, and of the function of a thesis statement and supporting paragraphs in a prescribed written format.
- Apply the skills of editing and proofreading to compose and revise a written composition so that it is consistently free of errors in spelling, syntax, and grammar.
Preliminary Essay Outline Format
- The thesis statement contains a topic, controlling idea (opinion), and three main supporting points.
- The thesis statement is written as one complete sentence with good parallel structure and attention to grammar and mechanics.
- The thesis statement is thoughtful and can be adequately supported in a three-paragraph essay.
- Each boy paragraph contains a topic sentence, 2 main supporting points, and 2 specific examples or points of explanation.
- The topic sentence contains a topic (relating directly to the first main supporting point of the thesis statement) and a controlling idea (opinion).
- The topic sentence is written as one complete sentence with attention to grammar and mechanics.
Main supporting point
- Each main point is a general supportable point. (point-form format)
- A specific example or explanation is given for each main point which adequately clarifies and/or further extends the idea expressed. (point-form format)
- The concluding statement is written as a complete, grammatically correct sentence and paraphrases the thesis statement.
- Two reading references are used appropriately as either specific examples or as explanations to further clarify the corresponding main point.
Preliminary Essay Outline TEMPLATE