BCJ 4301, Supervision of Criminal Justice Personnel 3
Unit IV Article Critique
Access the following article in the ProQuest Criminal Justice Database located in the CSU Online Library: “Leading the Next Generation of Law Enforcement Through Emotional Intelligence” by Lt. Phlunte Riddle.
After reviewing the article, provide the following:
1. A brief introduction of the article, including information about the author.
2. Who are the baby boomers? Who makes up the Y Generation? How are the individuals entering the workforce different from the supervisors? Why is this important to know?
3. According to the article, emotional intelligence measures what four emotional competencies? What are the corresponding skills to each competency? Why are these so important?
4. Looking at Table 1 in the article, which leadership do you use most often? Provide at least two examples, using either a personal or professional experience, to support this.
5. Summarize California’s POST “Best Practices Update 2006, Recruitment and Retention.” Include the eight strategies required to best retain employees.
6. Discussion of the authors’ conclusions. Do you agree or disagree with him/her? Why?
Your critique should be at least four full pages in length, using APA formatting guidelines for title page, abstract, font, spacing, references, and citations.
Unit V Mini Project
Building Block II: By now you should have submitted your topic for approval. In this assignment, you will submit one assignment with two parts: an annotated bibliography and a reference page.
The annotated bibliography should have at least six primary references to support your Exploratory Paper. These sources may be books or articles from scholarly works, professional journals, or government agencies. Websites should not be utilized for this assignment unless they contain a scholarly article. Please contact your professor if you are unsure of the appropriateness of the work.
An annotated bibliography examines scholarly articles and books on a certain issue and provides a summary of each. The purpose is to offer an overview of the literature on a topic. Each source you choose should be cited using APA style.
Before beginning the annotated bibliography, decide if you will group the articles/books by date (in chronological order) or by issue/trend. Once decided, the annotations for each article/book should include a summary. The summary should answer these questions.
1. What are the main arguments?
2. What is the point of this book or article?
3. What topics are covered?
These summaries are written in paragraph form with most being one to two paragraphs in length, and they should follow the reference entry.