Examining Major Perspective and Theories in Historical Psychology Research
For this Assignment, you will watch all four of the historical research videos (listed below), and then select one video to identify basic perspectives and theories used in psychology. Once you have selected your study (video), complete the Unit 6 Assignment Template (located in Course Documents), which will guide you through writing a cohesive paper. This Assignment will provide you with a connection between the major psychology studies and perspectives.
Watch each of the following:
- The Bystander Effect
- The Milgram Experiment
- Learned Helplessness
- The Stanford Prison Experiment
Next, select one the videos, and write a 2-4 page paper (not including Title and Reference pages) addressing the following points:
- Identify the historical research study (video) you selected from the list above.
- Summarize the results of this study and what implications it has with regards to human behavior and mental processes that you have learned about in Units 5-6
- Discuss what is meant by social psychology and how it could apply to your research study referencing its theory and concepts.
- Theories are meant to help you explain and predict people’s behavior. Considering the personality theories you read about in Units 5 and 6, name one theory that helps explain what you see illustrated in the research and explain your reasons for choosing it (for example: psychodynamic, humanistic, social cognitive, behaviorism, or trait theory).
- Consider whether or not you think this historical research could explain the development of psychological disorders? Explain your reasoning using reference to the study and the disorder(s).
Writing Requirements and Assignment Guidelines
Your Assignment should be 2-4 pages, not including the Title and Reference pages, and should include the following elements:
- Title page: Provide your name, title of assignment, course and unit number, and date
- Body: Answer the questions in complete sentences and paragraphs
- Reference Page: Sources in APA format
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font, double-spaced
- Use APA Formatting and Citation style
- If you need assistance with APA style, please visit the Writing Center.
- The assignment must be written in Standard English and demonstrate superior organization, including a highly developed viewpoint and purpose. The communication of your thoughts must be highly ordered, logical, and unified, displaying exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics (including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure).
This Assignment assesses the following Course Outcomes:
PS124-3: Discuss major perspectives and theories in psychology connecting them to important historical research.
GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.