Week 5 A:
Post a response to one of the following topics:
1. How do cultural ideals and timing of puberty affect an adolescent’s body image?
2. Discuss social problems facing youth such as suicide, juvenile delinquency, and victimization. What kinds of recommendations would you make to help reduce these problems?
Week 5 B:
Paper discussion #2 – Empirical summaries
Contains unread posts
In this Discussion assignment, you will be practicing the online research skills needed for your final paper project. Part of your paper requirement is that you must cite (correctly) 4+ empirical articles. Some of you have spent a lot of time reading, citing, and dissecting scientific journal articles, for others this may be the first time. So the purpose of this Discussion is twofold: first, to further familiarize you with PsycINFO and searching for empirical articles, and second, to familiarize you with APA style.
1. Access PsycINFO. This is my preferred empirical database for psychological research. The easiest way to reach PsycINFO from LEO is to click Resources on the dark blue bar, click Library, then click Databases by Title (A-Z). Scroll to the Ps and click PsycINFO.
2. Browse recent (2010-present) empirical (meaning: scientific, data-based, NOT review articles or chapters) articles that you plan to use in your paper related to your topic. If you are unfamiliar with using EBSCOhost databases and conducting effective searches, please see the tutorial located here: http://www.umuc.edu/library/libhow/articles.cfm as well as other UMUC library help guides that you can find through that link. You should attempt to find all four of your articles for your paper, but for this Discussion, please find at least two.
3. Write one paragraph for each article, giving a brief summary of what it is about. You do not have to read each article in its entirety, but skim it so you can tell what it is discussing, what the results are, and what is important. How does the article tie into your paper topic? Anything confusing you?
4. Write an APA style reference for each article. Please see the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL) here: https://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/560/01/ for more information.
No classmate responses necessary for this post, but you may wish to respond to your classmates if you have questions or comments on their work.
Please make sure the post is at least 300 words